Key Lime Cupcakes
My dad loves anything Key Lime flavored so I decided to make these fun cupcakes for his Birthday. I took a shortcut and used a box mix, and key lime flavoring from a Jell-O packet.
With my little ones running around the house it’s hard to make anything completely homemade. That’s why I love shortcuts and my crockpot so much!
Besides, they taste delicious! It has the perfect combination of tartness with the Key Lime Flavoring and a sweet cream cheese frosting.
Everyone loved these, and they were a big hit!
- box lemon cake mix
- box (4-serving size) Jell-O lime-flavored gelatin
- cup water
- cup Key lime juice
- cup vegetable oil
- or 3 drops green food color, if desired
- cup powdered sugar
- 2 1/2 tablespoons Key lime juice
- package (8 oz) cream cheese, softened
- cup butter or margarine, softened
- teaspoon vanilla
- 3 1/2
- cups powdered sugar
- Grated lime peel, if desired
- 1.Heat oven to 350°F. Place paper baking cup in each of 24 regular-size muffin cups. In large bowl, beat cupcake ingredients with electric mixer on low speed 30 seconds, then on medium speed 2 minutes, scraping bowl occasionally. Divide batter evenly among muffin cups.
- 2 Bake 20 to 24 minutes or until toothpick inserted in center comes out clean. Cool in pan 10 minutes. Remove from pan to cooling rack. With toothpick or wooden skewer, pierce tops of cupcakes in several places.
- 3 In small bowl, mix 1 cup powdered sugar and enough of the 2 to 2 1/2 tablespoons lime juice until glaze is smooth and thin enough to drizzle. Drizzle and spread glaze over cupcakes. Cool completely, about 30 minutes.
- 4 In large bowl, beat cream cheese and butter on medium speed. On low speed, beat in vanilla and 3 1/2 cups powdered sugar until mixed; beat on medium speed until fluffy. Frost cupcakes,. Garnish with lime peel if desired. Store covered in refrigerator.