Week By Week Moving Checklist
(Includes: Week by week plan with tips and tricks, important numbers and websites, & inventory and notes page)
Let’s face it, moving is no easy task, but with a little bit of planning, it can make your move much easier. Click on the link here or the button above to download and print your free moving checklist!
*Disclosure: This post contains affiliate links. See disclosure policy for more info.
4-6 Weeks Before Move
- Plan out your move. If you plan on hiring movers, call and get estimates. If you plan on moving yourself make sure you have all the equipment needed. Get quotes if you will be renting a moving van or trailer
- Order or pick up boxes and gather supplies such as, packing tape, bubble wrap, packing peanuts, scissors, a box cutter, labels, permanent markers etc… You can also start collecting boxes by asking local stores.
- Have a folder and keep all things related to the move including receipts, estimates, important phone numbers etc… You can also create an email folder (many companies now send receipts online or do paperless billing)or print them out and put in your regular moving folder.
- Start cleaning and declutter. Throw away broken items and donate clothes or other items that you no longer need. Find out where to donate by going to charitynavigator.org/ You can also plan a garage sale and make a little cash!
- Organize school records- If you have children that will be changing schools, make sure you check with the school to find out what they will need to enroll, such as birth certificate, proof of address and shot records. You will also need to have the current school transfer their records to the new school.
- Pick up any medical/dental records to take with you if you will be switching doctors after the move.
- Measure rooms and door openings in the new house to find out where furniture will fit. Don’t forget to measure the windows for blinds and drapes.
- Start packing and label all boxes. Start with items you don’t use daily. Books, knick-knacks and out of season clothes are a great place to start. If you pack a little each day from now until the time you move it won’t seem as overwhelming. If you need labels, you can also download free color-coded labels here.
2-4 Weeks Before Move
- Fill out a change of address at the post office. You can fill out the form at the post office or go to usps.com and fill out the form online.
- Notify companies of your move. Don’t forget to directly contact loan providers, the IRS, health insurance company, home or renters insurance, credit cards, your bank, magazine subscriptions, or any auto-delivery shipments from Amazon.
- Start using up items in your pantry and other perishable items.
- Schedule electricity, internet, water, and trash service in the new home.
- Notify current electric, internet, water and trash service when you will need service suspended or transferred to your new home. Find out the final amount you owe, or if you will be receiving a deposit back, and inform them of your new address.
- If you are moving across the country, check rest stops and book hotels to stay at on the way.
1 Week Before Move
- Pack an essentials box of things you will need for the first 24 hours in the new home. including paper towels, cleaning products, bottled water, snacks, shampoo, toothbrush, toothpaste, toilet paper, and any other toiletry products you may need. A small first aid kit, flashlight, and extra phone chargers may also be helpful. If you have kids, you may also want to pack a small bag to keep them entertained during the move. You can include items such as their favorite toy or stuffed animal, books, snacks, and other items to help ease the transition.
- Patch up any holes in the walls from pictures, and make repairs in the current home from normal wear and tear.
- Keep packing!
The Night Before Move
- Clean your current home
- Unplug and defrost refrigerator the night before. Remember to put a down for leaks.
Day of Move
- Do a final walk-through of the current home. Remember to check cabinets, drawers, and closets for any items you may have forgotten and make sure all boxes are out of the house.
- Move into your new home and unpack your essentials kit!
- Inspect items and furniture for any damage. Don’t forget to tip if you’ve hired movers!
- Childproof your new home if you have young children and cover outlet plugs
- Order a pizza, take out, or head to your local store to pick up something to eat!
- Continue unpacking
- Update your voter registration
- Update Drivers License and register your vehicle by visiting your local DMV (find locations here)
- Find a new healthcare provider and dentist
It will likely take several weeks before you are fully unpacked and settled into your new home. The good news is, the hard part is now over, and you can focus on getting settled and styling your new home!
- Week by week plan with tips and tricks, inventory, important numbers, and notes.
You might also like to print the FREE Moving & Supplies Checklist & FREE Color Coded labels.
Below are a few items you might find helpful!