Facts About Poison Ivy

 

What does poison ivy look like?

Poison Ivy can be found through much of North America and typically grows in three group leaflets. The color and shape can differ depending on the time of year and location and can have yellow or green flowers depending on the season.

What causes poison ivy rash?

Poison Ivy rash can be caused by direct contact with the plant, or indirect contacts such as through clothing, pets fur, or tools. Urishol is the oily substance in Poison Ivy and can lead to the development of a rash in 80%-90% of individuals after contact.

Signs & symptoms of poison ivy rash

Poison ivy rash typically occurs 12-72 hours after exposure and includes the following:

  • redness of the skin
  • small or large blisters
  • swelling of the skin
  • itching of the skin

What are the treatment options?

Most symptoms can be treated at home by applying a cool compress, taking an oral antihistamine (ask a doctor first) or by using a topical treatment to relieve itching. You can also  prevent poison ivy rash with www.buyrhustox.com

When to see a doctor

Most poison ivy rashes clear within 1-3 weeks of at home treatment. However, you should see a doctor immediately if you have difficulty breathing, if it effects the mouth or eyes, the rash covers large parts of the body, you have a fever over 100 degrees, or excessive swelling or last more than several weeks. It’s also best to contact a doctor if you are unsure of something or not getting adequate relief at home. While poison ivy rash can usually be treated at home, in some cases a severe rash can lead to death if left untreated.

Prevention

  • Learn to recognize the plant
  • Wear protective clothing including gloves, long pants, and boots in high-risk areas
  • Thoroughly wash clothes or other items that may have come in contact with the plant
  • Do not burn the plants, which can release urushiol

 

REFERENCES:

American Academy of Dermatology. “Poison ivy, oak, and sumac.” <https://www.aad.org/public/diseases/itchy-skin/poison-ivy-oak-and-sumac>

You may also like...

1 Response

  1. Poison Ivy can be a problem. I know a few people who are very sensitive to it. It is a good idea to really know what the plant looks like. Especially if you have an outdoor project or like to garden.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *